zaterdag 7 mei 2011

Girls for Rent (1974)

I've been diving head first into the growing neo-exploitation films lately, so I thought it was time to revisit the real deal. Girls for Rent caught my eye, for some unknown reason. It isn't one of the well-known carsploitation movies the seventies had to offer. But that's fine, I had a feeling this was gonna turn out great. With Al Adamson you can't really go wrong. You might know him for all time classics like ''Horror of the Blood Monster'', ''Brain of Blood'' and ''Black Samurai''. Yes, who hasn't seen those?

I haven't... but I will watch them very soon. It's one of those special directors who went to take a shit and by the time he got back the movie was done and the result was fun! Regardless the budget or time spent. It just needs to have some nudity and a few nice chases, just add some cool music and you're good to go.

It's a basic 'chase' story. We follow Sandra, a gorgeous woman who gets framed on a simple job. She escapes but ends up being chased by two female hitmen. Sandra (played by Georgina Spelvin) will come across more than a few crazy persons. But it becomes a real feast when the two hitmen get fysical. A pretty disturbing game of seduce & kill. I'm liking it so far.
It doesn't really get any bigger than that, though. I do have to mention Peston Pierce (died at the age of 52) for his awesome good-guy role. At the end of the movie we see him chase down a car with a buggy, which he stole! Well that's badass. Fast driving, shooting, awesome music, exploding vehicels, great actors, easy plot.. what else can you expect from such a exploitation flick?  The ending is very abrupt but that's fine with me, I don't need the aftermath.

This movie has been distributed by Troma and is definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of exploitation. It's not one of the better movies made in this era, but it sure as hell isn't the worst either. It's a fun, high-speed blast in a glass. I can't wait to see more of what Adamson has to offer. Girls for Rent is also known as Fatal Pursuit and I Spit on Your Corpse! 

Score: 80/100

0 comments:

Een reactie posten